The Technical University in Zvolen (hereafter also TUZVO) preserves heritage of one of the first technical higher education in the world whose beginnings are connected with setting up the Mining Academy in Banská Štiavnica in 1762, where forestry disciplines started to be taught in 1770. The establishment of the Forestry Institute in Banská Štiavnica in 1807 signified the first independent forestry university study in Slovakia. In 1904, the Mining Academy, since 1846 the Mining and Forestry Academy, changed its name into the Mining and Forestry University and thus it became the only university of its kind in Austria-Hungary. It ceased to exist in 1919.
In accordance with the worldwide trend in ecologization of awareness among population and building the ecological education system, the VŠLD as the first one in Slovakia noticed a positive trend contributing to a more intensive interest in the environment and its conservation. On 1 October 1991, the Faculty of Ecology was set up by separating some of departments at the Faculty of Forestry and the Faculty of Wood Sciences and Technology. Since 1995, it has been the Faculty of Ecology and Environmental Sciences (hereafter also FEE).
By the decision of the National Council of the Slovak Republic of 17 December 1991, the the name of the VŠLD in Zvolen was changed into the Technical University in Zvolen under Law no. 26/1992 Coll. with effect from 23 January 1992.
By the resolution of the Government of the Slovak Republic no. 520 of 5 August 1998, in the interest of revitalization of Banská Štiavnica as the only town of the Slovak Republic inscribed on the List of the UNESCO World Cultural and Natural Heritage and with the aim of bringing the university student traditions back to Banská Štiavnica, the relocation of the FEE from Zvolen to Banská Štiavnica was approved. After meeting the legislative conditions, the Rector of the TUZVO issued the decision on the relocation of the FEE with effect from 16 September 1998. The process of relocating the FEE from Zvolen to Banská Štiavnica was completed in 2000.
After eight years of the FEE operating in Banská Štiavnica, the Rector of the TUZVO took a decision with effect from 1 September 2006 on the relocation of the FEE again, more particular on moving from Banská Štiavnica back to Zvolen. From a long-term viewpoint, the aim of this change was an increase in education quality and the Faculty efficiency, the elimination of duplicates as a consequence of the geographical separation of workplaces, strengthening the university approach to studies (self-profiling the student within the ECTS), increasing the TUZVO integrity, and decreasing the amount of the fixed costs for operating the University.
In September 1996, in the context of transformation and integration of the Slovak universities in the European higher education area, the Faculty of Environmental and Manufacturing Technology (hereafter FEVT) was set up. The FEVT is oriented towards the education of specialists in providing environmentally sound technologies in accordance with the world trends and ecological norms of the European Union.
Under Law No. 131/2002 Coll. on Higher Education and on changes and supplements to some laws, the Technical University in Zvolen is a public higher education institution. On the basis of the results of the complex accreditation process in 2009 and by course of higher education law it has been ranked among university higher education institutions.
The pedagogical work and research of the TUZVO are supported by workplaces with a university-wide competence.