Call for expression of interest
Call for expression of interest in PhD Studies Technical University in Zvolen
- Thematic field: Bioeconomy and forests
- Topic: Perceptions and acceptance of the concept of bioeconomy and forest ecosystem services
- Application deadline: 31st August 2019
TUZVO WEBSITE: CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST IN PHD STUDIES
Topic: Perceptions and acceptance of the concept of bioeconomy and forest ecosystem services
Study Program: Forest Ecosystem Services
Problem description: This topic is aimed at better understanding of the perceptions of key stakeholders and consumers for a forest-based bioeconomy and forest ecosystem services within the context of the EU Bioeconomy in order to contribute to the integration of consumer preferences into a pan-European forest-based bioeconomy modelling platform. This will be done through the exploration of the diversity of perceptions and acceptance levels of a forest-based bioeconomy and forest ecosystem services in the EU. Thus, this research will explore interests and foster participation of different forest stakeholders and the broader public and furthermore quantify these normally qualitative aspects through a review of grey literature, stakeholder interviews and microeconomic analysies in order to quantify the consumer’s willingness to pay for different services provided by the forests.
Expected outcome: Outcomes will be quantificantions of what stakeholders want and expect from forests in terms of ecosystem services (including the provisional services of wood and residues for bioeconomy) and what affects acceptance (e.g. certification on products, freedom to bird-watch..). Prerequisites: MSc. in one of the following or similar fields: Adaptive Forestry, Management of Natural Resources.
Collaborative Doctoral Partnership (TUZVO, JRC)
PhD topic will be developed within the framework of the collaborative doctoral partnership between the Joint Research Center of the European Commission (JRC) and the Technical University in Zvolen (TUZVO). It is expected that the student will start and finish PhD studies at the Technical University in Zvolen and will spend a considerable part of the study (at least 12 months) at the JRC in Ispra (Italy). During this time period the student will be paid according to the corresponding grant holder scheme. The JRC will also associate with the topic JRC advisor and will provide relevant data and access to the necessary research infrastructure.
Terms and Conditions – TUZVO website
Eligibility criteria - JRC
In accordance with Article 2a) of the Grantholder Rules, candidates should, at the start of the employment contract with the JRC:
- have the nationality of a Member State of the EU or a country associated to the Research Framework Programmes. Candidates from other countries may also apply. However, only the Director-General of the JRC may allow their recruitment, following the security clearance and derogation procedure for non-EU country nationals in force at the JRC. COLLABORATIVE DOCTORAL PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT No. 35373 (page 17 of 19)
- be enrolled in a PhD programme with TUZVO. Selection procedure The selection is made in two phases.
- The TUZVO will make a selection process according its internal rules for PhD studies. TUZVO establishes a short-list of two to five candidates per PhD position.
- The TUZVO informs the short-listed candidates about the results of the selection and that it will send their application (CV and motivation letter) to the JRC.
- The decision on the recruitment of the candidate is taken by the JRC, following the below selection process and in accordance with the GH Rules.
How to apply
The paper application form for PhD studies is given by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic: "Application for university studies, PhD - third degree". It is available in specialized print shops (ŠEVT) or on the website of the Ministry: https://www.minedu.sk/odporucane-formulare-a-prihlaska-na-vs/
Application deadline: 31st August 2019
The date of the admission procedure (TUZVO): 16th September 2019
For more information about the application process contact Assoc. Prof. Dr. Jaroslav Ďurkovič, vice-dean of the Faculty of Forestry of the TUZVO (jaroslav.durkovic [at] tuzvo.sk)
For more information about the topic and conditions of the doctoral studies within the Collaborative Doctoral Partnership with the Joint Research Center of the European Commission contact Prof. Dr. Viliam Pichler, dean of the Faculty of Forestry of the TUZVO (pichler [at] tuzvo.sk)
Information Leaflet – TUZVO website